Thursday, October 1, 2009

Going to Lexington

Friday the Hoof Beats crew heads to Lexington to cover the Grand Circuit racing, most notably the Kentucky Filly Futurity on Friday and the Kentucky Futurity on Saturday. We'll have video recaps of both days' features and a photo feature in the November issue of Hoof Beats. Also, stay tuned for blog posts from the front.

I'm looking forward to this year's trip because it feels like it has been so long since I've been there. Last year I came down for the first week, but my brother (who is not involved in harness racing) decided to have his wedding on Futurity Day. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I called to get the results and found out that there had been such an exciting third-heat raceoff, but it was a beautiful wedding nonetheless.

This year I'll make it a point to be there trackside for this year's trotting classic. I'm just hoping that the weather is warm (and dry) enough for Muscle Hill to really show how fast he can trot. I was there when Giant Diablo trotted in 1:50.1, when Snow White trotted in 1:52.4 and when Somebeachsomewhere paced in 1:46.4, so if there is any place to stop a clock, it's Lexington!

Good racing, and hope to see you there! TJB