Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Chocotonian

Sure, the big news of the day is the Hambletonian draw, but I just heard that Bryan Owen of Chocoversity will be at the Meadowlands once again with his chocolate machine!

You may remember Bryan from a profile in the February 2009 issue of Hoof Beats. Bryan is the business manager for top trotter Corleone Kosmos, and even put his image on a chocolate bar. Last year he had his machine set up at the Hambletonian welcome reception on the eve of the race, where people could get their picture taken and put on a chocolate lollipop. I’m still disappointed that I missed it last year, but photographer Mark Hall did come back to Ohio with his face on a lollipop!

Bryan told me he will have his machine set up inside the grandstand on Hambo Day. He said all profits will go to the Standardbred Retirement Fund, so make sure to stop by and have a delicious treat for a good cause. You know I’ll be there!

And while I’m there, I’ll be doing a special on-location edition of “Eye on Harness Racing,” set for Friday, Aug. 7. I’ve been busy gathering footage for the show—mostly going through old Roosevelt Raceway videos (thanks, Dom Rebelo, for all your help!) to find some classic race calls by the late Jack E. Lee. What do you think is his most famous race call? If you have any ideas, please e-mail me at tj.burkett@ustrotting.com.