Sunday, August 30, 2009

C'est Magnifique!

I have never seen anything quite like Le Cinq Mille, contested over Hippodrome Sulky Quebec. Fifteen horses went to the post. The field remained fairly even and spread out through the first seven laps before the men and the boys were separated.
In the end seven horses made it across the wire, led by the toughest of them all--Heartthrob.
I really wish I could express how wonderful racing is in Quebec--how committed they are to the sport we all love, how much they have dedicated themselves to preserving a long-appreciated way of life. It was one of those afternoons of racing I was simply sorry to see end.
The day started at 9 a.m. meeting my friend Yves Bergeron, who toured me around the track (after a stop for Tim Hortons donuts and coffee to share with the judges). An incredible renovation completed in 2007 has made Sulky Quebec a modern and exciting facility, complete with touch-screen betting carols, a sports bar and flat screen TVs. Yves assured me every seat would be taken by the Cinq Mille, and he was correct.
Those in attendance were clearly in love with racing--cheering the victors, compelled by every lap of every mile. Lunch in the club house was as good as any fine-dining restaurant, with table-side betting in an instant with your own walk-around teller.
But there is one memory that will forever stick with me from my day at Le Cinq Mille--the site of driver Jocelyn Gendron literally jumping for joy when he got off the racebike after Heartthrob's win. He hugged everyone he could find; he high-fived every single fan he could touch; he was carried on the shoulders of his friend and family before entering the winner's circle. In all the American races I have ever seen--the Hambletonian, the Little Brown Jug, the Breeders Crowns--I have NEVER seen a driver show so much excitement, so much emotion, so much joy.
That what racing in Quebec is all about--joie de vie et joie de vivre (joy of life and joy of living). I hope I can bring even a little bit of it home with me to the states!
Bon nuit,
Nicole